Saturday, March 14, 2015

A Handmade Birthday!












Oh that bottom picture makes my heart so happy! This year all my sister wanted was placemats for her birthday. So placemats she got! Five patchwork placemats - the same layout design but with different fabrics. It was nice making these because I was able to incorporate fabric into each mat from different projects I had made for them. Noah's had some of the Japanese fabric that I used when I made his snack bag. 

My sister had posted these pictures on Facebook to share with friends and family yesterday and on one of the pictures she said something that made my heart so happy!



My niece also got some of the little red fabric that I used in her quilt and my sister got a bit of posy that I used for her quilt. It's so wonderful to be able to use a small scrap that can remind a loved one of another handmade item you had made them!

I didn't know if I was going to finish on time to send it back with my parents to San Diego but I did! And oh what a wonderful feeling that was! I am horrible when it comes to mailing things - a goal that I am making for myself this year to be better at sending cards and packages and such.

Handmades for birthdays are starting to become a tradition. A tradition that brings so much joy and love. On both ends. Along with a handmade item, another tradition that is starting to blossom is a card filled with long messages. Messages carrying reasons why that person is loved - memories from the past year that was a blessing - hope for the next year to come.

I am constantly reminded that we only have so many birthdays and anniversaries in a given lifetime. Oh how important it is to me to mark each one with love and gratitude for those that have such a hold on my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you made a set of placemats for your sister where, instead of making then all matchy-matchy, you made each one speak to the specific recipient. It's so much more personal and full of love! And the fact that they will each recognize scraps from a precious gift: awesome. It speaks to the interconnectedness of love and family. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genevieve! Isn't it great that textiles can hold so much memory? My favorite part about this project was choosing fabrics that reminded me of each family member. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your comment. It is such an encouragement and I appreciate it from my heart.

      Delete