Tuesday, March 24, 2015

We all fall down...



Lately Liam has been furniture walking. He is so excited to pull up on furniture. When he stands up on his own he looks at me with the biggest grin on his face. Look mommy... I did it by myself,  his delighted expression suggests. 

But oh this little boy - he can climb up but doesn't know how to sit back down. Often times he falls down after trying to walk a little further than his little arms and feet can safely reach. Most times I can catch him in time and soften the landing... But there are those occurrences where Mommy just isn't fast enough... and a tumble is followed by a thud. When he falls and starts to cry, I sweep him up and comfort him with hugs and kisses. Oh if I could kiss away all the pain and the fear. Lately a phrase has emerge that I murmur to him on those occasions, It's alright Little Bug. We all fall down. Mommy falls down too. You are not alone my little boy in reaching father than your abilities can carry you... in falling in a tangle of limbs. In the thud that accompanies a crash. 

Today was one of those days. Mommy fell down... in a figurative sense. Sigh. I am learning that parents make mistakes... and oh how often the thud that follows is one of the heart - instead of the head. 

I wish that I could give my own mom and dad a hug. And express to them my gratitude and understanding. To ask them to forgive me for every time I thought they weren't enough. Even when they couldn't soften the landings... Because they were enough and more. So much much more. 

Parenting is the hardest job I have ever done in my life. 

Mom and Dad... thank you. I understand now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment