Saturday, August 16, 2014

A Finish For My Sister

My beautiful older sister was here for three whole weeks as we waited for the baby to arrive. It was a perfect three weeks and I still get teary when I think about how much I miss her.  (She left yesterday and my heart is still sore) The above picture is the Saturday right before my due date. Ross and I took my sister and my niece up the mountain to check out the Farmers markets. We stocked up on breads, jams, veggies, and fruits so we would have everything we would need to wait for the arrival of baby Liam to come. 

Waiting for her when she got here from San Diego was her long awaited quilt. She has been so patient in waiting for this. This was a birthday graduation thank you for coming and helping us with the baby quilt. I finished a quick label the day before we went to go and pick her and my niece up from the airport. 

Please excuse the bad photos. These last shots were taken right before she left to go back to San Diego. And it was also after three weeks of being loved and slept in and read with. So the wrinkles in these pictures make my heart happy because it just goes to show that she really loved it... mistakes and imperfections too. We are our worst critiques right?
 I like this picture because it shows the quilt nicely... as well as my messy house! Well... not so much the messy house... but since we had just given birth to a beautiful baby boy I dare you to judge! =)

The fabric for the front is mostly from the Posy line by Aneela Hoey with a few kona solids and low volume color prints from my local quilting shop. The smaller hexagons were hand appliquéd on... and the cutters and pattern were from Bonnie of Bee in my bonnet .

My sister's favorite color is green so I tried to incorporate as much green as I possibly could. Overall I am really pleased with how this quilt turned out. =) You can read more about the making of this quilt in previous blog posts here, here, here, here, and here.
 The backing is from the posy line by Aneela Hoey. I bought this fabric especially for this pint. The girls reading on their stomaches reminded me so much of how my sister and I both share a love of literature.  I knew that this fabric would be perfect for her quilt. Don't you love how fabric speaks to you and how it reminds you of certain people?
I love this picture. My sister took this picture and posted it on Facebook with this note:



Look who I got!! Liam... remember how auntie smells like cinnamon rolls and sunshine, ok? Remember that we like to cuddle and sing songs together. Ask your mom to show you pictures of me everyday so you don't forget me. I love you, little boy.
 — feeling emotional.

It makes me very emotional when I think about baby Liam growing up so far from a family that I am so close with and love. We are only able to make it out to San Diego once a year during the summer... but the family has visits lined up for Hawaii so that makes me happy. I plan on trying to keep up with them by Skype so that Liam can see their faces and hear their voices. The Creative Memory scrapbook supplies will also need to come out of storage so that I can work on picture projects for both Liam and my family.

Do you have loved ones far away? If so... how do you make them feel close to you and your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment