Monday, September 1, 2014

Gardening Journal: A goal and a beginning







I love lists. Do you love lists? Something about them... the potential of completion... the artifact of productiveness... it just thrills me. Well... when my sister was here a couple weeks back, we were sitting at the table with cups of tea between us and concocted a list of "things to master". Among things like baking bread and garment sewing, I listed that I wanted to "grow something and be able to eat it."

Since moving to Hawaii - and with the price of food being so expensive (believe it or not... but I spent 14 dollars on a stalk of celery before) it has been on my heart to start our own little garden so that I can help supplement our diet with nutritious herbs and vegetables as well as save money!

Currently my parents are visiting for two weeks to help out with Liam (I think I've gained ten pounds from their amazing cooking!) and my dad is an amazing gardener. So, I told him that I wanted to learn how to garden... but we needed to take baby steps. So, he is starting me off on a small container garden on our lanai. We have two large pots and one smaller one. We bought three starter plants... two dill and one cilantro. He taught me also about germinating seeds. Right now we are starting beets, parsley, sweet basil, lettuce, and chard.

I am very excited about this! I can't wait to see how things grow! =)

Do you have any favorite gardening books? I'm on the prowl for some inspiring reading material.

Oh! Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment