Friday, September 4, 2015
Five on Friday: Hand Sewing
Lately I have only been wanting to do hand sewing. Right now, handwork just seems to fit into the flow of our day. More so than working on the sewing machine where there is so much set up and break down and stress from making sure that Liam can't get to the iron. No, right now the ability to carry a project, work on a few stitches during those precious snatches of free moments during the day, and put down and away when it is time is just right for me right now. Along with my project comes my little mason jar of tools. As I was thinking about what to share on Five Friday, I realized that there were five things in my jar (the herra marker and ruler in my opinion are a pair and count as one!) that I thought I'd share today.
When doing handwork, these tools follow me around everywhere.
1. Herra Marker and Straight Edge: For straight line quilting I usually use my herra marker and ruler. It is so nice to not have to worry about erasing lines, and these tools are just the ticket to marking without having to do just that!
2. Thread: I started off with Gutermann thread, and a loyal thread customer I am! Right now I have the quilting cotton thread in my jar, the color is an off white cream. Color Number 919 if you are really interested.
3. Embroidery Scissors: I purchased these at my local quilting store. Isn't the color nice? These I find are perfect for snipping those threads!
4. Needles: Personally I like the Foxglove Cottage brand. The size that I am using are Betweens/Quilting in size 9. I like the sturdy feel of them and they hold up to hand quilting so nicely.
5. Thimble: Ah yes, my thimble. I prefer the Clover leather thimble to any other thimble that I have tried. I like the flexibility that the leather has. It has just the right amount of give.
Currently I just finished the patchwork below and am now waiting for the inspiration to finish the project. My machine is giving me problems right now, it keeps cutting my thread whenever I back stitch so I'm a bit on strike at the moment.
I am also working on my Hawaiian quilting cushion. A work in progress for a year that is finally getting the attention that it deserves!
I hope you all had a wonderful August! If you are interested in joining the Five on Friday then link up with Amy over at love made my home.