Thursday, September 3, 2015

In the kitchen







 







The kitchen has been a busy place! You would think that due to the humidity and the heat, it would actually keep me from using the stove or oven, but I think most of my creativity has been drawn to the kitchen. To creating things for breakfasts or lunches that we can grab and go.

On Saturday Ross and I were asked to go to his grandma's house where his mother and her sisters would be distributing the things of the household to the sisters and their children. His mother gave me the redish mixing bowl, and Liam inherited a set of plastic dishes that have been placed in his play area. We are currently saving our pennies to buy Liam a play kitchen, and until we do so, we have set up a little play camp site on the carpet for him. And oh my how he loves to stir his pot and put the lid on.

In the real kitchen, I have been busy making things that will make for easy lunches and breakfasts considering the fact that it is just too hot to do anything but reheat. Biscuits for breakfast, custard pie for after school sweets, and a dish called torta, a Filipino meat patty made from ground meat. In this case turkey, egg, tomato, garlic, onion, tomato, and potato. Eaten with rice and a bit of ketchup, they actually make for a very filling meal. Smoothies and popcorn are often consumed for snacks. And lots and lots of water.

I have been using grandma's mixing bowl for most of the things that I have been making in the kitchen. There is a beauty I think, in using things that are passed down to you. Standing at my kitchen mixing things, makes me think of her in her kitchen making and mixing things. Isn't it amazing - how items are able to hold such tangible memories and make such connection to the past.

Are you looking for a new popcorn recipe? Oh my - this one is our favorite. It must make it to our table for snack at least once a week. I recently started adding dill to the mix and oh my what a difference it has made! I also don't add butter because it seems as if Liam has a bad reaction to dairy - all except for yogurt for some reason.  But it is delicious! We like it with smoothies ourselves. Kale, blueberries, pineapple, banana, yogurt, chia seeds, flax seeds, and a bit of water seem to be our favorite lately. Liam can drink cup after cup of the stuff.

What have you been making lately?

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks so delicious! I am slowly returning to baking now that it's a bit less hot. I made broccoli and ground turkey cake just now- kids will be happy to see it in the morning :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That sounds yummy, broccoli and ground turkey! I am looking forward to using the oven in cooler weather! Your enthusiasm for fall is catching! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so in awe of your baking and cooking! My husband and I pretty much live out of the refrigerator and microwave (him only). Liam's straight little back is so sweet - and his teddy waiting for him to serve up what's cooking in his pot - well, that's too adorable for words!! Have a lovely and soft afternoon and evening! Hugs, Ann

    ReplyDelete