Friday, October 9, 2015

Old McDonald had a farm...












Don't you love it when inspiration just grabs hold of you and urges you to create something?  A box arrived for Liam a few weeks ago and inside it was this beautiful hand crafted stable and animals.  It was a present from my dad for Liam's birthday.  A belated present, but oh so wonderful and beautiful and inspiring.  The craftsmanship in these toys are so beautiful to behold that a picture really doesn't do it justice.  The feel of them is wonderful.  Smooth and with a weight to them that feels like quality. Well, I put it in the living room area where Liam's main toys are and this nagging feeling kept pulling at me.  It was missing something.  Something to welcome and inspire play.  Alicia Paulson's book had been on my desk for a while and I knew the perfect project.  Isn't that Country Time Quilt in the book the cutest?  Well, we weren't in need of another small quilt but I did come up with a way to still use the designs.  Five out of the six animals were embroidered and set in a nine patch block and hand quilted to make a little wall hanging.  I used some of my favorite prints that I have been hoarding.  Some repro 1930s prints and a bit of Ayumi's Lighthearted for the border and lining.  I am so pleased with this project.  I can see why people make doll quilts and minis for it is so satisfying to finish this project so quickly! It perhaps took a week of naps.  It is going up in Liam's corner today and I am so excited to see how he will notice it.  

Happy Friday everybody.  I wish you a wonderful weekend! 


Aloha. 



36 comments:

  1. What a great idea! This turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Alicia Paulson :) Your quilt is gorgeous. Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra! I agree, everything Alicia Paulson does is so inspirational!

      Delete
  3. What a great gift, the wooden animals are adorable I can see why they inspired such a beautiful quilt. The embroidery animals are a real delight, stunning. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! =) I have so much fun with Liam's new toys. He has learned how to make a sound like a horse. A very high pitched neeeee. =)

      Delete
  4. So cute, love the embroidery. The carved animals are wonderful also. Nice handmade work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful, I love the quilt and all the wooden animals, such a lovely thing to do:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the farm set and the quilt are beautiful!!!! I am sure that Liam will grow up enjoying them both and playing with them both together! I love the sheep, he is my favourite! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! Thank you for hosting Five on Friday as well!

      Delete
  7. wow - the quilt is gorgeous and the animals are stunning. I love wooden toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooden toys are so wonderful to play with. They just feel good to the touch!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely idea. The quilt is lovely and the farm looks fabulous. Liam is a lucky little boy. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely little play quilt to go with the precious wooden animals from your Dad. Your little boy is doubly blessed with two creative family members!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute! It reminds me of Alicia's recent masterpiece! You did a beautiful job! What a kind mommy you must be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Karisma, this is just beautiful! What a special and fun treasure your mini quilt and the wooden animal set will be for Liam for years to come. You could even use them to play a matching game! Have a lovely weekend too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly! =) I didn't think about a matching game! He has been having fun pointing to the animals on the wall hanging and yes, taking it down several times a day. =) But it is a lot of fun to watch him play. He likes to kiss the cow and the horse. Super cute!

      Delete
  12. This is a wonderful set of carved farm animals. I love how you were inspired and turned it into a matching wall hanging. I would hang it right above the farm set :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! It actually does hang right above his little stable. =)

      Delete
  13. These are such special items you shared with us today. I agree that the farm animals are beautifully made. And I like the way you have incorporated the memories and design in the quilted piece. Really lovely. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful project. I love your little animals in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hand-crafted farm animals and the matching quilt are just wonderful! What a special treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those Ostheimer wooden animals! Grandpa truly loves little Liam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely Ann! I think my dad is a bit over the moon about him! =)

      Delete
  17. The little wall hanging is so cute! Love the embroidered animals and the fabrics! I've used some of those 1930s retro fabrics - I love the little tiny designs! The wooden animals look really nice to play with! Popping in from Crazy Mom Quilts as part of my blog comment challenge 300 comments in 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. That fabric is very fun to play with! Wow, 300 comments in 30 days? Amazing!

      Delete